In this week’s episode of the The New New Thing podcast, we sit down with Jay Baer, inspirational keynote speaker and New York Times best-selling author, to discuss the importance of ongoing experimentation in marketing. Jay has advised more than 700 companies since 1994, including Caterpillar, Nike, Allstate, and 35 of the FORTUNE 500. Jay is also the founder of Convince & Convert, a member of the Inc. 5000 list of Americas fastest-growing private companies, a strategy consulting firm that helps prominent companies through the smart intersection of technology and customer service.
Experimentation has become a necessary mindset for marketers. It’s key to embed experimentation into your business’ culture in order to drive innovation and continue to up-level your strategies and stay ahead of competitors. Jay shares how he advises experimentation to his clients, as well as expert tips that all marketers can start using today. We also dive into the importance of balancing brand and lead generation marketing, and how one is not successful without the other.
In this podcast, we discuss:
- What’s “new” for Jay in marketing: chatbots, new testing opportunities with Facebook organic posts, LinkedIn’s new ad formats, and his new email program with video at Convince and Convert;
- Why experimentation is not optional and how to convey that to your executive team;
- How a culture of testing can drive ongoing innovation in your business;
- How to make experimentation a part of everyone’s job;
- Tools, disciplines, and approaches for embedding an experimentation mindset into your business;
- How some companies do lead generation without brand marketing, but why it’s key that you should always do both;
- How to define metrics of success for brand marketing;
- And more.
“What really makes testing happen is not results. What makes testing happen is a culture of testing. It has to be, ‘we test because that’s just how we do business.’ You can’t go from 0-60 culturally. Make it a part of their oxygen, and that’s how you make real change over time.” — Jay Baer
Jay’s Convince & Convert Media division owns the world’s #1 content marketing blog and multiple podcasts. Learn more buy following him on Twitter @jaybaer and checking out his latest Content Marketing Master Class.
Want to be featured on our podcast? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.